Our Strategy & Approach
Youth are our future leaders. Vikalp firmly believes that by changing the attitude of youth – helping to inculcate a sense of justice, equality and independent thought – we can create a better society for our next generations. One of Vikalp’s key strategies therefore is to work with youth by sensitizing them to gender issues. Through them, we create awareness in the community, sensitize others to the various discriminations faced by women, help the survivors of violence and also advocate for policy changes from the village to the state level.
Vikalp also believe firmly that in order to change discriminatory gender norms and practices, it is necessary to engage with men. After all, whole societies cannot move forward when only the mindsets of one half are changed. We work directly with fathers, husbands, brothers and sons, and seek to mobilize these male decision-makers to become role models in their own families and communities. Vikalp encourages men to challenge the norms that perpetuate gender violence and work to create communities that nurture the rights of women and girls and allow them to reach their full potential. You can read more about Vikalp’s work engaging with men and boys here.
Vikalp aims to target the issues of gender discrimination and violence in a holistic way, including by:
- Conducting public awareness campaigns led by youth volunteers, Changemakers and community partners
- Conducting discussion forums at local level build community awareness and capacity around preventing gender discrimination
- Advocating to local governments and community leaders on issues facing women
- Motivating community members to address gender based issues through various networks and support groups, as well as links with government and other institutions
- Raising awareness in local media and increasing coverage on issues around violence against women
- Sensitizing men to the experiences and issues facing women
- Holistically empowering survivors of violence, providing women with access to legal services, counseling, and regular follow-up
- Developing and encouraging self-respect and self-worth in women and young girls, to assist women in recognizing their inherent value and strength.